Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Government Shutdown

This blog is not going to be what you think. I'm not going to detail my outrage, disappointment or general disdain for the current state of government affairs. I'm not going to party blame or point political fingers. I'm also not going to complain (too much) because there are people in far worse situations. What I am going to cover is what this unpaid leave of absence from work means to me! 

So you wake and find yourself a government employee (yes that happened) then after years of service you wake up one day and find that you have some unexpected free time (i.e. an unpaid indefinite vacation) so what comes next.

1. Cooking - I stress cook so I made dinner last night. Although, I did have a slight panic attack while grocery shopping because that cost money. I came to the conclusion that I probably shouldn't be spending but if I am going to be a contestant on Top Chef Furlough Masters i have to make sacrifices.  I roasted vegetables in the fancy way and made macaroni and cheese laced with cauliflower and strongly considered making cod fillet fish & chips! My mandolin was begging to be used and I obliged.

2. Trolling the Internet - yes I have been spending a large amount of time watching Netflix on my iPad but I have been equally as active on people.com, E! News and CNN of course. I reconfirmed that the Internet is absolutely ridiculous.. I strongly suggest searching #shutdown and #governmentshutdown on twitter and then just let the laughter wash over you. 

3. Outrage - not just at the government shutdown but at the lack of substance on daytime TV. Seriously how do people watch TV from 10am - 3pm? There is nothing on but paternity testing (it is amazing how many people are unsure who fathered their children- public health we need you) I would rather spoon my eyes out or get acupuncture than watch daytime TV that is why # 2 of this list occurred.

4. Panic - I had that flash of panic at the news reports that this could go on for weeks. I'm fiscally responsible so a few days I can handle but a few weeks is a no go.  Don't they know this is the worst time ever!?!?! Aside from the fact that the holidays are coming, we are in the final stages of buying a house.  We can't pay our new mortgage, by furniture, move, or anything else we need to do without income.  We expected to be house poor, not unemployed poor.  *hyperventilating* 

5. Wine Affair - to ease the panic I have decided to develop a drinking problem, why not. I love wine, it loves me, and together we fight injustice. I'm pretty sure I can make a better budget on wine than Congress can! 

6. Prep for Scandal - I would never let anything including a government shutdown keep me from what is truly important this week, the return of Scandal.  Oh Olivia Pope, the government needs you now more than ever!!!!

7. Craft – I etched some glass today, labeled some bowls, played with my camera and took a trip to Michaels. They fun comes in waves and I have decided to channel my frustration in to productive energy.

8. Maid Service - Aside from the general fielding of phone calls and confirming that yes I have been impacted by the shutdown (YES I’m one of those 800,000 unpaid) I have been running errands, cleaning house, handling car maintenance and getting some other general house chores completed. I feel like I have been reenacting "The Help” but minus the fame and notoriety actresses often receive. I'm pretty sure I could NEVER be a stay-at-home mom.
This is just day 2, I’m sure I will find plenty of other mundane and inappropriate things to do if this foolishness continues!  Happy furlough days to us all!



photo from CNN.com

Looking for a laugh...

No comments:

Post a Comment