Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Pre-Thanksgiving Thoughts

Happy Hump Day peeps! As I enjoy the pre-holiday silence in the office this morning I’m eating my Chocolate Chip Clif Bar wishing it was already 3:00pm so I could go home. While I wait for the next 7 hours to go by, I had some early morning thoughts I wanted to share as we prepare to go into Thanksgiving!

Production - I am so much more productive early in the morning. Once lunchtime rolls around I’m a waste. I’ll admit it I’m a morning producer! The only thing I can’t figure out is why I can’t workout in the morning. I feel like it’s not working in the sense of accomplishing tasks so it’s hard for me to be motivated in the morning to do so! Kudos to all you early morning workout fiends; I salute you gym rats and all that you stand for!

Healthy Living- Thanksgiving is not a holiday for the health conscious but I’m a rebel without a cause so I am going to make it work! Healthy sides and vegetarian style meals for some (not all because my family would kill me)! But I am going make it a point this year to use self-restraint and good judgment. Remember people it is a marathon not a race and the food is here all week long!!!!

Homeward Bound - I really need a house so I can get a dog! More puppies in my email this morning! Pretty sure I’m an advertising executive’s wet dream. I see and I want, it’s that simple. Unfortunately for companies I now believe in shopping ceilings and often limit my expenses. I try to live like a college student despite being fully employed. Some call it frugal but I call it fiscally responsible adulthood.  A penny saved is a penny you can spend on things for your house (like a Smart TV and furniture)! 

Travel - Holiday travel is the WORST! That is all I can really say about that! Be safe those of you traveling for Turkey Day!

Turkeyology - What do Turkeys really think about this holiday? Do they recognize that many of their brethren have died in the war on Turkeys known as Thanksgiving?  Do they tremble in fear when the leaves change to orange and the pumpkins crop up because they know that it’s only a matter of time before they depart this earth and end up stuffed on a table? I bet they are plotting an uprising. This holiday be sure to pour out a little spiced punch or apple cider for the Turkey Homies that have gone to that Butterball factory in the sky! I will enjoy a turkey leg in honor of your sacrifice fair fowls, thank you for your service, Now Get in my Belly!

Black Friday – the love-hate relationship I have with black Friday continues this year. In my early twenties it was the thrill of midnight madness sales that made it all worth it.  Nap until Thanksgiving Dinner then redbull and vodka my way to late night deals at the outlet malls! I was able to get good deals during my prime hours of operation. Ah memories…Me and my shopping partners living the savings dream and counting extreme shopping as exercise! Now the thought of being up past midnight gives me anxiety, and all those people and all that rudeness makes me want to carry a small weapon (just in case things get out of hand).  I worked enough retail to know that Black Friday is evil and shouldn’t exist.  But now as a consumer the doorbuster deals are enticing, but I am still unsure! I have made a list, should I decide to participate in the madness this year; my all black everything ensemble is ready and my knife is on standby (just in case).  Shopping ninja-gangsta!

Hours of Operation - All these stores opening on Thanksgiving is a travesty. As a retail employee you look forward to the days you actually get off work without having to request it. Stores are opening earlier and earlier on Thursday (some at 6pm or 8pm). Sure for some having compressed time with your family is cool but Holidays are sacred and nothing should be open, except Wal-Mart. It is written in the prophecy; Thou shalt always have access to Wal-Mart…
So remember retail friends, it’s your company to blame for you being at work not me.  And watch your tone…I have a knife!

Drinking Etiquette - When is it appropriate as a child to get shit-faced in front of your parents? My family is pretty entertaining but alcohol would make it so much more hilarious. Alas, I don’t really drink in front of my parents. Sure the occasional beer or half glass of wine but that is all.  I often reserve my drinking for special occasions or Friday nights!  As an almost 30 something I’m still slightly uncomfortable being drunk in my parents’ house. I wonder if that ever becomes comfortable…do people do it?! When is it age appropriate to be drunk at Thanksgiving (question not intended for the already drunk alcoholic family member many of us have)?

Thanksgiving is coming people prepare your waistline and strap down your sanity! Talk to you tomorrow, prior to the food coma of course! 


No comments:

Post a Comment