Friday, November 2, 2012

Trix are for Kids (What If Friday)

Happy Friday Readers! This is the first Friday in November and we are going to start it off with a question from If (Questions for the Game of Life)! Today we selected a page based on the date (pg# 112) and picked a question at random. Let’s begin, shall we…

Question:        If you were asked what to put in a new breakfast cereal box as a gimmick what would you pick?

This wasn’t an easy question to answer.  Nowadays kids have a high expectation and in this age of technology they are not easy to impress. A mood ring or a crappy action figure wouldn’t really cut it. They have Xboxes and iPads, so cheap parachuting army soldiers won’t do!  I realize I grew up in a different time and because I had a little sister any prize in the cereal box was automatically forfeited. Nevertheless, in my day (yes I went there) we had cereal made of real sugar and no added whole grains! Only the fancy cereals had a toy and I remember when the only prize was the puzzle on the back of the box! These kids today (yes I went there again) have a enough unrealistic expectations and feelings of entitlement, the last thing we need to do is give them a prize just for putting a spoon full of food in their mouth.  But I digress…

I started thinking about the question again and had to ask myself what I would want in a cereal box. A new cell phone or bill money seems unrealistic. Alas I had a grand idea; adult cereals should come with a prize!  Genius!!!! I hate Raisin Bran or Special K but I would eat them if I knew boxes came with an age appropriate prize.  Hell yeah, I would buy a box of bran based cereal if I knew there was an ipod nano, DSW giftcard, a gas card, or a get out of jail (or speeding ticket) free card inside!  Why don’t adults get prizes? We have to buy the cereal, where is our reward? I would even settle for new recipes or office supplies, every little bit helps! Until this happens, I will continue to eat Frosted Flakes and Corn Pops because when you don’t have children those are more respectable to buy in the grocery store. Ever had that moment at check out where you have nothing but single person items (tv dinners, veggies, individual pan pizzas, wine, etc) and then the checkout attendant scans a box of Lucky Charms and gives you the WTF eye? Well, I don’t appreciate your judgment (I mean you Kroger employee) just bag my groceries and don’t ask questions.

I realize kids would have no real appreciation for adult prizes but wouldn’t it be nice? Then I thought, what do today’s kids need in a cereal box? Aside from hand sanitizer and more knowledge, both which are not easy to put in a cereal box, kids today need guidance, love, and common sense.  I can’t shrink those down into a toy so my focus changed to profits. What would be a profitable toy?  One would need something easy and cheap to mass produce but that provides enough incentive for kids to drive cereal sells (i.e. pester their parents to buy)! Ideally you would want something that was a series and built upon itself. Or you could even do like McDonalds Monoply game and have a game board where you collect “characters” or property to win a grand prize.  But nothing really comes to mind that fits the bill. 


WARNING: Choking Hazard, small parts. Not for children under 3 yrs. Adult supervision required.
CAUTION: Do not operate (stone will not work) to
·         Endanger or damage life (murderous rampages are not valid wishes)
·         Cause physical or bodily harm to others (without their consent)
·         Sell people to the Circus
·         Unleash Zombies upon the earth
·         Enslave (specifically using mind control or Chuck Norris)
·         Create  hazardous environments

The only way to undo a wish is to obtain another stone and wish again. Wishing stones can only be used by family members of the purchasing household. Allow 24-48 hours for wishes to take effect; any wishes related to body function or changes in physical appearance will only last 30 days.  One wish per stone; item itself is not redeemable for cash. Any violation of warnings and regulations will render the stone inoperable. Limited time offer! *Cereal Company is not liable for faulty wishes or injury!


I was stumped until I realized I was limiting myself. The question didn’t indicate that money, age or legalities were an issue. I’m not bound by the rules of physics or reality! So open minded, non-inhibited me decided I would put a real wishing stone in cereal boxes. Valid for one non-violent (non-harmful) wish). Of course this would only be a seasonal prize offered in a 3 month period. Obviously, there would be fine print which kids wouldn’t read but it would go something like this:
  
I didn’t say it was logical but it would be cool. Kids and parents alike would make a lot of bad decisions!  Now you go out and make a few bad decisions, Happy Friday!


No comments:

Post a Comment