Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Average Joe Tuesday

Getting back into the swing of reality after coming off vacation is more difficult than I imagined.  All in all I am coping without alcohol and without burning sick leave from work which means I deserve a pat on the back. Sorry I missed out on blogging Monday; I had to work on some pressing issues.  Today’s blog will be uneventful so if you stop reading now I wouldn’t be offended at all.

Many of you know I love projects, tomfoolery, and macaroni and cheese. I had all three yesterday which generally makes me happy.  I did watch the debate and I will not talk about my thoughts other than to say I strongly recommend people following Bill Maher on twitter, his political commentary is hi-larious!

For those of you that don’t know, I’m starting an event planning (weddings/showers/birthday parties) business with a friend. As if I didn’t already have enough to do!!!!  But I like to think of myself as the Make-A-Wish Foundation for regular people, I want to make your dreams come true and much like Disney I will help encourage you to have fun and charge you the price of admission.  So more information about that is coming to a facebook page, twitter, and pinterest account near you!

I am also struggling with the East Coast vs West Coast time zone battle. Bloods and Crips have nothing on this very real time zone beef.  Three hours is a large amount of time to be off your sleep game!  The part that is the most upsetting is that as soon as I readjust we will fall back for daylight savings.  I know some astrologer somewhere can explain the significance of daylight savings time but I truly don’t understand the concept, nor do I want to.   I don’t enjoy the juggling back and forth, having to change all my digital clocks (microwave clocks should be easier to change in 2012), or having to remember when to Spring Forward or Fall Back (sayings are clever but don’t give me a date).  So I’ll endure but don’t expect fanfare or praise hands!

I don’t believe in transition today so I will now discuss why one shouldn’t eat snickers peanut butter fun size bars for breakfast…wait I have no justification for that so let’s just talk holiday season. Retail stores are about to remind me ad nauseam that Thanksgiving and Christmas are upon us! I love Halloween until it’s over because that signifies the beginning of excessive holiday marketing! We all know advertisers overdo the notifications; seriously it happens the same time every year!!!!  This year should be no exception so I am trying to mentally prepare myself now!

*insert transitional sentence here* I had a conversation last night with some folks about the fact that average is winning right now. What started out as a general discussion about the beauty of the First Lady transformed into a gender battle about what we are deeming the "year of the average"! The men felt like average looking women have a prime opportunity to succeed right now because of the example laid out by the First Lady. The women felt like the First Lady is anything but average and she is a super star to be celebrated! Of course this discussion then led to black power couples and the crazy beautiful (we mean you Halle Berry).  Either way, I learned valuable lessons.

1.      African American men find it hard to “sexualize” the First Lady which I think is a good thing. Respect her don’t fantasize about her (her husband does that cause he is her husband).
2.      Most men think they look good in high school (ha ha ha ha ha) everybody looks a fool in high school, its high school. FYI we didn’t think you looked so good then
3.      Not too often do really attractive people marry other really attractive people!
4.      If you Google black celebrity couples we only have like 10 which is crazy but I guess that means we need more black celebrities and role models in the media.
5.      Famous men date up, winning the lottery is one thing but many “average” celebrity men have pulled some women way out of their league; which one can assume is a perk of fame.
6.      Denzel Washington in the new GQ wearing that suit!!!!! Sir your sex appeal continues to make the ladies swoon! We love a distinguished, confident, gentleman in a tailored suit!

Other events of interest in the last few days include me finding out some double great news about a friend (congrats on both occasions); me actually working out which is worthy of praise; I purchased some new Joe Jeans (worth every dime); and found out I get 20% off discounts at Canyons the burger joint! You are all caught up people. I promise my blog will have substance (however you define that) later in the week once I have overcome the sting of my vacation ending and the sadness of being back in an office setting.

Good day to you all!  Go out and find a dodge ball team or something!

No comments:

Post a Comment