Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Columbus Day Weekend Special

The sky is literally falling this morning as they are doing repairs on our office building roof.  I am forced to work through what I can only describe as a construction site with equipment pounding, particulate matter falling from my ceiling, workers burling around and all that jazz.

As my office walls attempt to do an impression of a shake weight I realize it is post Columbus Day Tuesday.  Despite the construction and general tomfoolery and mayhem at work I’m in fun fall spirits. I haven’t blogged in a few days (I don’t work on holiday weekends anymore people) and I really missed you guys! But I am back with weekend randomness to share.

Columbus, Thief or Hero? - Many of you have often heard me refer to America as the greatest country ever stolen! Monday we celebrated Columbus Day in true American fashion by shutting down schools, banks, and government facilities. As the story goes, in 1492 Columbus sailed the ocean blue and he eventually discovered the Americas; a land that had already been discovered and inhabited by Inuit and Native American people (those indigenous to the region). So we thank Columbus for rewriting history and finding what was already found but claiming it as newly discovered, thus beginning a universal bidding war for land and power ultimately leading to “freedom”. I am not sure Columbus is someone to celebrate in terms of his tactics but what he did was impressive. Consider that he lived 55 years back when life expectancy was much worse; he was able to survive multiple voyages (that’s what they called travel in old times); was able to coordinate 3 massive ships and the crews; manage and acquiring funding and still make a profit; write a few books, and completely negate the indigenous peoples and the discovery of the Americas by the Norse (11th century folks) claiming the right for himself! Do you Columbus because that is true gangsta right there! Either way, I am thankful for not having to go to work one Monday every October!

Fall Favorites - fall is officially here because I was able to pull out tights and boots due to a much needed drop in temperature. I am soooo excited and I look forward to all it brings; Halloween, pumpkin gooey treats, and hot chocolate extravaganzas. This is my favorite time of year for so many reasons, most importantly the fashion which I love! Bring out the cable knit sweaters and knit hats please! Sign me up for knee high boots and cute stockings, put me in a turtle neck and wool skirt then send me on my merry way!  I also love fall for practical reasons including holidays that exclude me from work, warm beverages (hot toddies), the disappearance of mosquitos, snow days, minimized shaving of the legs (ladies know what I’m talking about), butternut squash soup, and the return of fall television.

Sad Bulldawg Saturday – my team lost this weekend. That’s all I can really say other than I still support them. This is not a season ending loss so I am not stressing it! Although it does make it difficult to face my non-UGA peers in the office but I will not shy away from confrontation or denounce my team for any reason.  I still bleed Red &Black and I’m ready to put the past (i.e. Saturday’s game that shall remain nameless) behind us…

Football Conundrum – my theory about the misalignment of my college and pro football teams was proven true this weekend. I think there is a causal relationship between the successes of one team that impacts the other.  When my college team wins my pro team loses and vice versa.  I want some sort of regression analysis done. The bad news I mentioned already but the good news is my Saints pulled out a W and Brees broke Johnny Unitas' record by throwing a touchdown pass in his 48th consecutive game.  Congrats New Orleans and that win was much needed!  My other theory is that they only won because Coach was in proximity. We may need to consider sneaking him into games dressed as a mascot or something!

Fanship comes with great responsibility – over the weekend there were several stories of crazy fans gone awry. Primarily there was a story about the UGA QB having his house egged and rolled after the loss this weekend. An even bigger story was the KC Chiefs fans cheering the injury of their own quarterback.  I find it deplorable that people have eliminated a common regard for human decency and have forgotten players are people too.  Sure the media puts athletes on a pedestal but this game is meant to be celebrated and honored. Being a fan is about loyalty, illogical obsession, and contained hostility all in good fun! Fun being the word of importance! Never should you damage property, harm others, or lose your own integrity in the name of being a fan.  I was disappointed to see how far our society has come from the true spirit of sportsmanship. In true fall fashion remember the reason for the season people and behave yourselves.

Movies make the Difference- so I watched Chronicle this weekend and it was so much better than I expected. I feel bad I didn’t see it in a theater. Decent film about the dynamic nature of the human spirit and what happens when you give teens super powers! You already know…bad idea! Either way, I watched that film this weekend along with the Tall Man (a Jessica Biel straight to DVD film) and the both made me more socially aware. I learned to be nice to people, only kidnap children in poverty if your goal is to give them a better life, and always use surround sound! I really want to see Cloud Atlas and several other things so you can expect legitimate reviews in the future. 

Additional Random Thoughts – why are wings so compatible with football viewing? It’s so clever, simple and tasty!  It’s a perfect fit you know?! What would life be like if I got a real kitchen and could be the kitchen ninja master I am, in a proper setting (take that stove top fondue)! If I lived above a restaurant, I would never cook and would probably put on a lot of weight. Why are personal trainers and security guards so into me? What is the deal, do I emit pheromones specific to these professions? I need further research into this matter ASAP.  Why is my browser back button not working on my internet explorer? Seriously computer, stop being defiant and just go back to the previous screen! I really need to drink more water and consider working on my blog during weekend hours.

Happy Tuesday back in Reality People!

No comments:

Post a Comment