Thursday, October 25, 2012

Spoon-Pontification

I am eating my salad with a spoon, mainly because I am too lazy to walk to my local cafeteria and grab a fork. When doing something ridiculous like this one often contemplates legitimate and more serious thoughts to compensate. In true fashion, I was giving some serious thought to observations that were recently shared with me or resulted from recent experiences!

1) There is no statute of limitations on friendship problems – my most valued and appreciated friends (you know who you are) have been in my life for decades. When you have friends for long periods you forget that unconditional love sometimes has conditions. What I mean is that you still have to put work into your relationships. Nurturing and engagement are required, mainly because good friends never forget and blackmail can impact you later in life. It is important to support your friends, advise them, listen to them and check in with them regularly. Because I have such good relationships with my long-term friends, I often forget that not all of my friendships are created equal or operate by the same rules. Not all people can get the full investment of you! Apparently, you also never age out of friendship drama; I thought for sure by hitting a new age bracket I would be able to eliminate some of the complicated drama of friendships past. I was clearly operating on a false assumption. I also assumed that good friends that had sustained common law status could be elevated to a higher level of recognition but sometimes people regress.  The most important take away is that friendship is a two-way street that has the ability to mutate; sometimes you just have to accept change, dap each other up, and keep it moving!

2) I am an emotional extremist- it has been brought to my attention on many occasions that I have very distinct extremes. I’m either in a great mood or a very bad mood! I either do something 100% or I completely won’t do it at all. For the record, I do logically operate and hold opinions for the majority in a shade of gray. But there are some things I do to extremes especially if my emotions are involved. It’s difficult for me to not do everything 100% (go hard in the M-Fin Paint), I make decisions that way, I work on projects that way, I tell people what’s on my mind that way. Maybe that makes me extreme but I am completely ok with that.  I am able to recognize that is just my way of being. I don’t expect it of others or hold them to my standards. You do you and I will do extreme me!  Regardless of my extremes, I often accept others and their choices at face value which makes me extremely awesome.

3) This is going to be a great fall/winter- as the winter months begin I was recently told this was going to be a great season. I absolutely believe this!!!!! So much is happening right now and I have a positive outlook on it all! I had some revelations about what I will and will not tolerate from people. I have come to terms with some important truths about my friends and family and I have decided to continue being the best me I can be! I have picked a Halloween costume that makes me giggle! I have had hot chocolate and overcome work obstacles. I have embraced some new beginnings and some new recipes. I started working out with some consistency (sort-of). I registered to vote (again)!!!!  I plan to have the best winter ever, until November 2013 which I will then claim as the best fall/winter ever. So let the good times roll people…let the good times roll!

I feel like this line of thinking has made it acceptable that I ate my lunch with a spoon. It has also made me appreciate the value of a spork! Enjoy your afternoon good people!


No comments:

Post a Comment