Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Tattooed Thoughts

As I shared, my recent trip to New Orleans was full of fun.  When in the great state of Louisiana it is important to avoid the swamps at night, never step in pot holes (that’s how you get STDs and infections), and enjoy life’s many gifts (i.e. food trucks and drive through daiquiri shops).
I decided to embrace life and get some new ink in one of the places I call home and I have to say I am in love with my new tattoo!  As a tribute to my French heritage and a symbol of the somewhat difficult time I am having in life I added a quote to my collection, a French proverb semi-permanently (tattoo removal can happen at any time) etched on my rib cage.   Because I don’t speak French, I opted for the English version:
Nothing is impossible to a willing heart
As I was lying in the chair, being tattooed by a 26 year old former Atlanta native I had several thoughts, mostly about body art:
·         What are the chances that I would come all the way to New Orleans, try 4 tattoo shops and end up under the needle of a guy from Atlanta!  It was fate or sheer coincidence (which ever you prefer).
·         Why do people get so up in arms about body art? If I want to cover my entire body in chocolate nobody would have a problem with that, so why does it matter if I chose ink instead?  If I mind my own business, pay for my own ink, and don’t harm anybody why do you care?  Tattoos just mean I prefer to publically display my creative spirit. Don’t judge a book by its cover or at least read the content before you decide.  
·         Who in their right mind would tattoo anything on their face, that shit is painful as all get out! You hardcore “artists” and prison residents can keep that!
·         Men with tattoos are so sexy and only because it conveys the bad boy image.  It is also sexy to me because I know how much those suckas cost which means you likely have a strong source of income (hopefully  legal), it also means you have a reasonably high pain tolerance and semi-gangsta thoughts, unless it’s a tattoo of a cartoon character.  Oh wait that might be judging a book by its cover.  Either way as long as you keep your tattoos below the face but above the waist I support it, you sexy sexy man!
·         Anyplace that requires you to lay down for long periods (tattoo shop, doctors, dentists, & sleep study facilities) should have art on the ceiling.  I get tired of counting tiles give me something to look at!
·         People like me with slight OCD when it comes to numbers should never get tattoos. I now have an uneven number of tats (5) and have to get another one to even out.  It’s a compulsion people.  It’s the reason I hate pumping gas or reading books having to always end on even numbers and it gets to be frustrating.
·         At the soon to be age of 29 years old I still lied to my dad when he asked me what I did that day, nothing and I certainly didn’t visit Frenchman St at 10pm to get manhandled by some artsy white guy. I'm just saying he is anti-tattoo and my dad!
·         All of my tattoos have been at times in my life when I wanted serious change, controlled rebellion…that OCD creeping up again. Struggling to get outside the clutches of my over protective household,  in the mist of my college upheaval, in the heart of an unhealthy relationship, and at the precipice of my 30s after getting out of that unhealthy relationship.  It’s my equivalent to getting a haircut and I am ok with that! No pain, No gain… or tattoos.
·         Love the skin you are in people; no matter what you have tattooed on it!
Random thoughts I know but that is what this blog is about folks!  Overall, I am pleased with my decision to add to my collection. Kudos to the gentleman that told me it was sexy; I had my moment of vanity and came to that conclusion on my own but did appreciate the confirmation!  Yours are nice too and we should discuss that over dinner ;) as the LMFAO song, Sexy and I Know It plays in the background!
I appreciate respecting the look but don’t touch policy, I will swat you and you know it (hands spread germs)!    To my peeps, I appreciate you hugging me lightly the last few days my side was feeling a bit tender, thanks for being considerate! 

A tattoo is a true poetic creation, and is always more than meets the eye.  As a tattoo is grounded on living skin, so its essence emotes poignancy unique to the mortal human condition.  ~V. Vale and Andrea Juno, Modern Primitives


New Ink from NOLA


No comments:

Post a Comment