Friday, July 20, 2012

Tragedy in Colorado

In the wake of the tragic events in Colorado last night my regularly scheduled blog is taking a slight detour.  The news is currently bombarding me with coverage of the movie theater shooting in Aurora, Colorado.  It saddens me that we choose as a people to slaughter each other.  Nothing is sacred anymore! People can’t even go to a movie without being terrorized.  Leave people alone! Senseless death and violence is no way to prove a point or become famous. 

My heart goes out to the victims and their families and my prayers are with them, the shooter, and his family.  Somewhere our society went wrong people…somewhere we lost our way because generations of Americans are starting to take stock in guns and murder but not faith and compassion. 

Batman was a vigilante that doesn’t make him right but he did serve a purpose, to help the greater good.  When events like this occur it makes you wonder what happen to the spirit that super heroes use to invoke. Doing right, saving lives, and thwarting the evils of the world?  What happened to us as a society that what’s valued is owning weapons, stacking body counts, out smarting police, causing general anarchy, and living out your days in prison?  The incarceration rate in the United States of America is the highest in the world. As of 2009, the incarceration rate was 754 per 100,000 of national population (0.743%). The US Department of Justice estimates that 1 in every 32 Americans are held by the justice system. WTF people!  The greater good is worth it!  I wish more people believed that and started laying off the bath salts and mass murdering!

My only real thought right now is to spread the love. Love the people in your life. Tell them every day! Support each other! Find compassion in your hearts for others. You really never know what can happen or the impact kind words and shared sentiment can have.  

On a side note: When incidents like this happen the response is to increase security and heighten awareness.  Soon I will no longer be able to sneak in popcorn or drinks because I will have to succumb to bag checks and metal detectors. I just want to pay my $11.50 and watch what I came to see, no hassle, no drama, no gunman. The movies will become the next airport security check…and that makes me sad too.

My regularly scheduled Friday Blog will post this evening before I go see the Dark Knight (Please don’t try to kill me before I can witness this cinematic greatness).

For coverage on the events I recommend visiting CNN: http://www.cnn.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment